Reduction in factors involved in diabetes development, include bodyweight and insulin resistance
Chromium yeast products can help manage type 2 diabetes according to new research.
A new study published in the European Journal of Nutrition (June, 2018) joins the body of evidence showing how impactful chromium-yeast can be for diabetic management.
The double-blind placebo-controlled trial studied the effects of chromium-yeast supplement in the form of enriched bread. All participants were previously diagnosed with type two diabetes and were randomly assigned chromium-yeast bread or placebo bread to consume over a 12 week study length. Various parameters were measured to give an overview of how well managed the subjects diabetes was.
The results showed that chromium-yeast enhanced various areas of diabetic health, including:
- Lower levels of plasma glucose and insulin
- Lower levels of HbA1c (glycated haemoglobin), an important biomarker of diabetic controls
- Decreased insulin resistance
- Decreased bodyweight and (systolic) blood pressure
Chromium contributes to normal blood glucose levels and a healthy metabolism.
1. Yanni A, Stamataki N, Konstantopoulos P, Stoupaki M, Abeliatis A, Nikolakea I et al. Controlling type-2 diabetes by inclusion of Cr-enriched yeast bread in the daily dietary pattern: a randomized clinical trial. European Journal of Nutrition. 2016;57(1):259-267.